When it comes to climate change, people are the problem. They must also be part of the solution.
Climate change is the existential threat of our time. Caused by human activities, climate change’s impacts—rising sea levels, extreme weather and natural disasters, new cycles of flooding and drought, and economic instability, among others—disproportionately affect the most vulnerable people and those least able to adapt to the changes. These communities are the least responsible for climate change, and the least able to adapt to its effects.
Addressing global warming and tackling climate change require action and policy changes at the national and international level. But individuals, households, and communities have a vital role to play. Fishers, farmers and other resource users in developing countries can adopt climate-friendlier practices and reduce their impact on nature-based solutions to climate change. Individuals in the major emitting nations can shift their day-to-day behavior and take action to reduce their carbon footprint.
Climate change needs behavior change. And change is what Rare does best.
Helping individuals and communities change their relationship with nature unlocks direct benefits for people and the environment: better yields and productivity, strengthened protections for habitats and wildlife, greater social equity, enhanced livelihoods for millions of people, and increased resilience to climate change.
Rooted in behavioral science and design thinking, our behavior-based, people-centered approach makes climate-friendly behaviors easier to adopt, and the impact longer lasting.
Sign me up for occasional emails on Rare’s programs and how I can support their mission. I know I can unsubscribe at any time.
How we’re tackling climate change
Inspiring individuals to adopt climate-friendly behaviors.
Individual behavior plays a significant role in reducing emissions, while paving the way toward large-scale climate action.
- Make It Personal meets people where they are to make climate-friendly behaviors easier to adopt.
- Fish Forever inspires fishers to shift away from destructive practices that damage or destroy nature-based solutions to climate change like coral reefs and mangrove forests.
- Lands for Life equips farmers with techniques to reduce their impact on the climate.
- Center for Behavior & the Environment trains environmental practitioners in Behavior-Centered Design to maximize the impact of their work around the world.
Building the resilience of people and nature.
Investing in people and nature as solutions to this threat builds social, ecological, and economic resilience to climate change.
- Fish Forever works with communities to protect mangrove forests critical to carbon capture, as well as coral reefs that help reduce their vulnerability to climate change’s impacts.
- Lands for Life empowers farmers and farming communities with the knowledge, tools, and awareness to protect one of the most important nature-based tools for capturing carbon – soil.
Surfacing, spotlighting, and accelerating solutions to climate change.
Rare surfaces, spotlights, and accelerates proven and promising solutions to challenges like climate change.
- The Center for Behavior & the Environment facilitated Solution Search: Climate Change Needs Behavior Change, a contest that surfaced 197 solutions from 47 countries that use behavioral approaches to reduce consumers’ emissions. It also uncovered innovations that set the stage for training leaders and changing behaviors in communities around the world.